Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Flight #WTF To Boringtown Now Boarding...

It’s about 5:25AM, and I have arrived at the gate C12 waiting lobby anticipating the start of the boarding of my flight on Midwest Air. To get here was fairly painless, but not without a few stories.

Frisky dropped me off and I walked inside the airport. There were not a lot of people there, so I had the notion that the transition from the Drop Off area to the Waiting Lobby area would be alright. I get my ticket from the desk and make my way down the long corridor to a security stop, where a bunch of female employees, some young, some a little older, were waiting. I get there and I was asked for my ID.

As I was pulling out my driver’s license, one of the older ladies asks me “How old are you?” And I reply “I just turned 21, ma’am.” She says “Really? You sure?” Some other employees chime in: “Yeah, are you?” and “You seem a bit younger to me” and “I thought you were 14 or something.” Sure enough, my ID proves my identity (which is what it’s supposed to do), and they let me through, but now without making some lovely comments about how you and fresh I look. I wish them a great day, and they wish me a happy and safe trip.

I walk down some more and come to the x-ray portion of the check-in. I try to read the signs as carefully as I can as well as follow the examples of some other passengers. I take a bin, remove my coat, iPod, cell phone, wallet, and shoes. I also take out my laptop and place my bags on the conveyor belt. I walked thru the metal detector and pass with flying colors.

However… One of my two bags revealed in the x-ray something “suspicious” and needed confirmation from one of the employees. I ask what the matter was, and he said he just needed to look in my bag. I watch him carefully as he takes his blue latex gloved grubby hands and reaches into my duffel bag. I’m racking my brain, trying to figure out what in the world this “Item of Mystery” could be. And guess what it was:

A Pack Of Index Cards...

That’s right. My pack of index cards. Freakin’ ridiculous. But nevertheless, I pass and continue to the waiting area.

Which leads me to this point. I am currently sitting in a chair near the walkway to the plane, with a nice view of the plane’s nose protruding out of the window. Boarding is at 6AM and takeoff is at 6:20AM. The first stop is Milwaukee, WI. I’ve never been there; in fact I have never been outside of the Eastern Time Zone. This should turn out to be an “interesting” sequence of events.

The “airplane mode” is activated on my phone, so I will not be making or getting any calls, but that does mean I can take “secret” pictures of inside the plane and my antics if need be…


UPDATE:

Here are some pictures from today. The next post will have the details on the event of May 2nd after I touched down. The Jet Lag may be catching up to me...


Milano & I Driving On The Roads



Gas Prices Are $3.33! What The Crap?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

please promise me you will take that have off at some point during your trip...

Unknown said...

Mmmmm.... young and fresh. ;-)