Monday, January 12, 2009

"Feelin' High" (The Denver Trip) Part Two: Everything Else, Part One

I’m on the plane, headed back home to Boston after a wonderful vacation in Denver. What a way to start 2009. I had so much fun exploring what The Mile High City had to offer. But more importantly, I so happy that I got to be with Ariel. We had both been looking forward for the day that we would reunite. And even though 5 days seems like a good chunk of time, honestly, the time flew by very quickly. So quickly in fact that we did a lot of great things (which is part of the reason why I didn’t actually write in my blog those days). But now that I’ve got a ton of time till I get home, there’s no excuse why I can elaborate on some of the stuff we did.

Lollicup. Awesome. Nuff Said.

I had a shortlist of things I wanted to do with Ariel while I was with her in Denver. Let me say this right off the bat: I could care less what we did as long as we did it together (I don’t want that statement to come off bitchy; I’m just stating that what was most important to me was spending time together). So we went to the local supermarket, Safeway, and purchased items to make dinner. And apple pie. Both came out delicious.

The night I got in, Ariel and I went to the local bar that she and her friends frequent, Jordan’s (not to be confused with Boston's Jordans, which is a furniture store) which is just down the street from her place. Some of my friends will be happy to know that on Fridays, they have $4 Car Bombs. A popular establishment (or at least what I could gather on that night), I had the pleasure to meet many of Ariel’s friends. One in particular, Hannah, knew my friend Ted (aka Teddy Ruck-Spin) who I went to Newton North with (By The Way: Ted, you STILL owe me that CD). It was great to unwind with in a great atmosphere after a long journey.

On Friday morning, Ariel had to go to work at her cool new internship (which, now thinking about it, I never got to see…), so I had the honor to have lunch with her roommate, Jessica. A budding psychologist, we went to Cherry Creek Cricket, a burger restaurant that kind of resembled Boston’s Sunset Bar & Grill (sort of). While waiting for a table we played pool, where I would take a 3 ball lead, just to screw it up by scratching on the 8-Ball. The food was good, except for the small, albeit very small, fact that they got my order completely wrong. I ordered a cheeseburger wit American cheese, barbeque sauce, medium well. What I got was a well don’t burger, with no sauce, but with American cheese. I ate it. It was good. For a Mistake Burger.

Did you know that Denver has a basketball team? Did you also know that I love chicken nuggets? Did you know that didn’t see any chicken nuggets being sold at the Denver Nuggets game on Friday? That’s besides the point. Ariel had purchased tickets for us and some of her friends (specifically Jessica, Nathan, Leo, and one other, whose name escapes me at the moment *ugh*). I’ve been a fan of B-Ball, though I don’t follow it religiously. But I knew enough that this game would be intense because they were playing against the Detroit Pistons (who just got Allen Iverson, who used to play for the Nuggets. See, now?). Ok, I knew all of this a good 20 minutes after the game started, but who’s counting. It’s at this game I got a new background for my phone. SO much better than the other one I had.

Oh, and the game? It was a good game, though the boys wanted to leave 4 minutes early to avoid the rush. When we left, Denver was up by 6. When we got home, we found out that Detroit had tied the game, brought the game to OT, where Denver would lose the game. Whoops.

The Light Rail in Denver is very clean, and fairly fast. However, their fare collection system is a bit peculiar. From what I can gather, some security guard comes around and checks that you bought your ticket. The thing is, they are not on every train. The go on some, come off, and then board another one. I’m paraphrasing a huge bit, but it’s odd…

The DU Gym. Where anyone who has the drive to be fit can come it and work out. And when I mean anyone, I mean ANYONE. I mean, they let me in. Ariel is what I would call a running enthusiast. She runs great distances and has even done a few marathons and half-marathons. So on Saturday morning, after a few days of not running because of my arrival, Ariel and I went to the gym to run on treadmills (this activity, oddly enough, was on my shortlist).

Now, I do some running: run to the train before it leaves, run to work before I’m late, run home to catch Password Plus, stuff like that. In all seriousness, I did a little running back in high school, and managed the Cross Country team for 2 years. Ariel has been doing this for years. Needless to say, expectations were not very high.

Long story short, on Saturday I ran for 6 miles, a good 3-4 miles more than expected. And on Sunday, I ran 7.5 miles. Oh, also on Sunday, I had sore legs. But other than that I felt fine. I’m actually going to try to run more often in Boston, though it will be tougher during the cold season.

From a purely game-playing perspective, this vacation sucked. Of all the games we played (Pool, Rummy 500, Blokus, and Skip-Bo), I won 2 separate rounds, but lost all the matches. I attribute this to Ariel having home field advantage. Just wait till she comes to Boston…

There is more that I want to say, but I’m super tired. So I GUARANTEE that I will finish this tomorrow. Or Wednesday. By the end of this week. If I don’t, every lady that I know will get a lap dance.

Guaranteed.

No comments: