Thursday, February 17, 2011

Stop! Elaborate And Listen

If I didn't know any better, I would say that getting engaged was an epidemic.

Now then...

My friend Alicia came to my place yesterday and we played games.  It was nice to have someone to hang out with during my week off.  In fact, she's been the only person outside of the people that I live with that I have seen all week.  I need to get out more.

Alicia and I have become very good friends during the past few months.  I don't have too many black friends here in L.A., and I would say that she is the closest one that I have.  It's really nice because there are things that I can talk to her about that I can't really relate to anyone else.  She also has been there for me when things have not been so great.  I'll get random text messages from her or a small phone call (which is nice).  She's level-headed, smart, and talented.  Quite funny in her own regard, she really is one of a kind.  So thank you, Alicia.


Something that I didn't mention about the Magic Castle endeavor was that it was also a blind date.  My friend Ken had a girl that he wanted me to meet cause he thought we would hit it off.  I'm always game for that kind of stuff, so I invited him and his girlfriend along with the girl to the Magic Castle.

May (whose name has been changed for this post) was a 22 year old who worked with Ken's girlfriend at a preschool.  She was a very pretty person, well dressed for the occasion.  From looking at the FB (which Ken had suggested, cause she looked at mine), her taste in music mirrored mine, hates horror movies, and just likes to have fun (so far, nothing is wrong with her).  I was really excited to meet her, since I knew that Ken wouldn't "set you up with a bitch."

Blind dates can be scary: you've never met this person, sometimes you don't even know what they look like, and you have no idea how they are going to act.  Naturally, it's understandable ok to be nervous.  I was a bit nervous, but I felt ok cause would be with people I knew.  I have even suggested that we all go together so that we all would feel comfortable.  She didn't talk too much during the beginning, and I totally get that.

As the night went on, we slowly began to ask each other questions about each other, trying to get a feel for each other.  I was trying to get her to open up and be a bit more comfortable, but I was beginning to feel like she wasn't too into me; she mainly was talking to Ken and his girlfriend and periodically talking to me.

By the end of the night, we had our fill of magic and so we drove May home.  Along the way, she seemed to finally open up and I got to know her a bit more.  We hugged and myself, Ken, and his girlfriend drove off to the Whisper Lounge.

The three of us talked about how I felt the date went, and I tried to be as honest as I could.  I liked May, but I was worried that she seemed kind of preoccupied for much of the evening.  Both Ken and his girlfriend informed me that she was very nervous about the date (even to the point of visibly shaking in the car ride to my place).  And, to be fair, if she wasn't interested in meeting me, she would have not gone on the date.  I had thought it went well and it was great to have met her.

But ultimately, the question is "would you like to see her again?" And that is the question I have been dealing with since that date.  Part of me says "yeah, it would be great to meet up again and see if this goes anywhere", while part of me says "if you weren't feeling anything when you met, what makes you think you can force yourself to feel something if you hang out a second time?"  So I sat down and thought about what I liked about May and what turned me off about May.

I'm still working on that list.

At the very least, I need to contact her and thank her for a great time (even though I'm a few days late on that).  But I still need to think about if another date is possible.

I know that I sometimes complain about having no one in my life (and by "sometimes", I mean "almost every day").  However, I don't want to pursue something I know won't lead anywhere.  That's what I need to figure out.


I updated my OkCupid profile a few days ago: adding some new pictures, rewriting some of the descriptions, answering some new questions.  I narrowed the age gap for the women I'm interested in, with the minimum age being my current age of 24 (even though I turn 25 in two months).  I need to work up the courage to message a few of my matches, just so that I can get more comfortable with putting myself out there online.  I have to get into my head that more likely than not I'll have to be one to initiate conversation.  It'll stick.  Someday.


I also came to the personal realization that I'm not looking for anyone who I already have a good friendship with.  More times than now, I've seen people who date friends not stay friends for long.  There are certainly exceptions to the rule (some of who have been together for a while), but for the most part, I don't see the idea of dating a friend work out too well.  For me, I'd rather meet someone I didn't know too well to begin with; it just seems easier.


I have watched more hours of cartoons and WWII documentaries this week then I think I have even in my entire life.  Boy, I have learned a lot.


Trivia susatains me.  The new You Don't Know Jack game is such a blast to play with friends.  If you have some spare money and a few extra controllers, pick it up.  You won't regret it.


That's all I've got for now.  Let's talk again soon, shall we?

Peace Out.

1 comment:

me&i said...

I still say 2nd time can be a charm. Vincent Cassel and Monica Bellucci met and were pretty indifferent to each other the first time they met...look at them now. power couple of europe.