Saturday, March 31, 2007

Greg, Let's Go To The Map! (I Feel Good!)

Recently, my manager asked me what my favorite game show was. I named a few: The Pyramid, Password, Cram, The Price Is Right, and some other game shows. But recently I was surfing the Net and I found a video of what is truly my FAVORITE game show. It had a very nice 5 year run, a beautiful set, fantastic music, and frankly, made learning so much fun. I'm talking, or course, of Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?. This show was so pivotal in my childhood. There were so many great things about this show...

The concept was (and still is) great. Being a detective was one of my dreams. Chasing crooks for an agency.

The host and announcer are so on point. Greg Lee (who also was Principal White on Nickelodeon's "Doug") was a fantastic host and Lynn Thigpin (may her soul rest in peace) was the best at her role.

Rockapella was propelled by this show; it was how I was introduced by them. I still love their music.

This show never "talks down" to its contestants or viewers.

Geography is a hard subject, and although you had to be a bit world smart, you did indeed learn something if you payed attention.

One of the most ingenious grand prizes on a game show for kids (or almost anyone): A free all expenses paid trip to anywhere in the Continental United States (which, by the way, meant no Alaska, no Hawaii), and you, the Gumshoe, got to choose!

It was funny. There were even comedy breaks between the Chief and Greg, which were hilarious. "Greg, Go Away." Loved It.

It was the longest running game show on PBS, and the second longest children's game show on TV behind Double Dare.

It was just a fun, fun, fun show to watch. Part game show, part variety show, part education show.


I could keep going, but the point is this show is loved by many people, including myself, and I wish I could make a game as successful and loved as this one. I would buy it on DVD in a second. I've included the three part YouTube on the side of this post in the Screeing Room. Make sure you start with Part One (the top video) if you are interested in looking.


The month is almost over, and I've got one more game to go. I told myself that I would stop making games at the end of the month in order to prepare for (hopefully) the trip to LA, and also to tweak the games I have now. People have been very helpful in developing my ideas, and to them I say thank you very much.

My grandfather went back to the hospital recently, and I hope he gets better.

Got a new position at Wheelock; I am doing data entry and analysis, which I am very excited about because that means that I no long have to help people who walk into the office. I get a Wheelock email, a login, and a desk space with a computer in the back, not in the front. Hooray.

Ok, it's time for me to take a shower and get ready to go out. Yes, that's right. I'm leaving to go out real soon.

No comments: