Wednesday, April 25, 2007

My Big Fat Haitian-American Post: Part One

A lot has transpired in the last week or so. I was going to post a few hours from now, but somebody woke me up (Kayte), and somebody has been insistent that I update (Kayte), and I cannot fall back asleep, so I'll do a post and then get ready to go out.

I was going to do a huge post on The Colbert Report, but instead I'll just do a big one in parts:

Part One

Matt, his friend Aurelien, and I took the 9AM Greyhound bus to NYC... at 10AM because the line was so long. When we arrived, we did a little walking around, and Matt and I went off to Union Square to see Nik (one of my closest friends), while Aurelien went to see his friend. Later, we met up at the studio with Aurelien and his friend, Liat, and I started to talk with the Audience Coordinator while standing in line. I'm not really sure why I started talking to him; it could have been the fact that he just seemed like a personally guy (which I guess you have to be if you are going to work that closely with people). Regardless, he seemed happy to talk with me. We entered into a little lobby area and struck it up with one of the bouncers, who was funny and a bit awkward at the same time.

We got into the studio and sat down in some great seats. Some 90s rock music was playing and we were jamming to it. Then a comedian came out and warmed the crown for about 45 minutes. He actually was not that bad.

Skip ahead to when Stephen Colbert finally comes out. He runs out and all of us are excited. And I have to say, the Colbert you see on TV (which we all know is a character) and the real Colbert are A: completely different and B: completely hilarious. He really is genuinely nice, and fielded some questions from the audience. Matt got one in:

"Your character is very against books, but there are more of them on your set than any other TV show out there. Why is that?"

Stephen's Answer:

...Will be revealed in an upcoming post. Stayed Tuned, Nation.

1 comment:

The Destructor said...

Dude, GOOD question! I'm hanging in the balance here!