Tuesday, September 18, 2007

C-C-C-Changes...

It's nice to be back in school. I guess I kinda missed it. Parts of it anyway.

I've been doing a lot of reading on the business of game shows: how they are formed, financed, and produced. It's quite fascinating actually. I'm learning a lot of new stuff that I did not know before. It's a very cutthroat business, and if you cannot handle it, it will chew you out.

Two new shows have premiered this fall: Temptation: the new Sale Of The Century and Merv Griffin's Crosswords. I've seen both shows a few times, and in my opinion, Crosswords is very well put together. I would expect nothing less, considering that Merv Griffin had a huge part in it. If I remember correctly, they were in their first week of production when he passed away. The game play itself is fairly simple once you watch it: clues are given and you must supply the word and the correct spelling. There's a bit more to it, which I wont get into right now, but after watching a few episodes, I think it will do fairly well. Now, I personally am not a huge fan of crosswords. In my lifetime, I may have completed 4 crosswords by myself without some sort of help or cheating. But I absolutely love word games. And I can give this one a chance.

Temptation, however, is a bit of a different story. The show is a port from overseas, and that was a remake from the original Sale Of The Century we had here with Jim Perry. I loved that incarnation. I liked the overseas version. I can't say that I'm feeling this new one. While it may look very elegant (and believe me, it does look very nice), I can't help but be nagged by the fact that many of the "mini-games" they have are similar, if not the same, as some previous game show premises. Case in point: "The Fame Game" requires contestants to identify a person, place or thing based on a series of clues that start off vague, but get more and more blatant as they go along. Along with this, on a video board, the number of letters in the name are shown in blanks and are slowly filled in one letter at a time, a la Wheel Of Fortune's "Toss-Up Rounds." Come on, guys. You can do better than that.

Now, it's not fair of me to bash a show completely. I really like the look of the show. It's very vibrant and colorful, not like many of the sets you see now in game shows. But considering this is supposed to be in daytime/afternoon and not on prime time, this choice does not surprise me very much.

Many other shows are either back with new episodes or will be returning with new ones mid-season. I'll be following as many as I can and will be reporting on them as they arrive. I'm particularly excited for The Price Is Right.

On to other stuff...

The term "ball's in your court" seems to be the theme of this month. Some of these "balls" are in my court (thrown in by other people) while I've thrown a few around into the courts of others (sounds a bit disgusting, I know, but bear with me here). I hope to have everything resolved by the end of the month.

I need new clothes. It's time to change the look. I have this kick-ass orange long sleeve shirt that I've been told that I look smashing in, so I think I'll buy some more clothes like that. When I have money, that is. Speaking of...

I also need a high paying job. It's time to be finacially well off.

I would love to meet some new people at school this year. I know that they are here somewhere, I just have to look around and be outgoing...

And on that note, I've got some Ethics homework to attend to. I have to look for examples of logicial fallacies in our society. Much easier said than done...


Much Luv

No comments: